chicago-c-1895To Charles Augustus Strong
Cambridge, MA. November 10, 1895

Dear Strong,

I am delighted you thought of sending me your article, not only because I shall enjoy reading it very much, but even more because it proves you have not forgotten an old friend in spite of such a long absence of communication between us. Are you again active at Chicago this winter? If so, do you see my Harvard friends there, and does the place continue to please you? I got such a favourable impression of it when I was there two years ago. This summer I have been in Europe again, in Spain for a while, and afterwards with Loeser in Italy and Switzerland, coming back finally by way of England and an economical cattle steamer. It was interesting, but not all I should have wished in the way of a change of life. This may come before long, however as there seems to be a crisis coming on in my relations with Harvard, and I hardly expect to remain here after this year. I shall not unless they make me an assistant professor. My plan is to go to London for a year, and see what will turn up after that. The change of intellectual surroundings would do me a lot of good. Let me hear from you soon.

Yours ever

G Santayana

From The Letters of George Santayana:  Book One, [1868]-1909.  Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2001.
Location of manuscript: Rockefeller Archive Center, Sleepy Hollow NY.